Thursday, February 7, 2013

Jenga and other fun games!


Jenga and other fun games in the speech room!

Jenga is a brilliant game that can be used in so many ways!  Do you have students working on the /s/ sound or adjectives?  How about students working on listening or following directions?  This one game can target all of those goals and more!  I have seen many teachers/SLPs write vocabulary words, articulation words, and more directly on the Jenga blocks.  I personally do not do that.  Instead, I choose a card deck according to my groups’ goals and spread the cards out around the Jenga game. 

For example, if a group of students are working on the /th/ sound, I choose a set of flashcards and spread the cards around the Jenga “tower”.  Before each student pulls a block from the tower, he/she chooses a card and either states the word or puts it in a sentence. 


The picture below was for a group working on identifying similarities and differences using my Monster Semantic cards.

My students don’t mind choosing cards and working on their goals, because the FUN and reward (pulling blocks in the game) are instant!

Here are some other fun games my students enjoy playing in the speech room:

What’s in Ned’s Head?
This game can go either way…your students will either love it or they will think it’s gross!  Each student is given a card with a picture on it (i.e. rat, tooth, etc.).  They take turns reaching in to either Ned’s ear or mouth and try to find the object pictured on their cards.  I add a little twist to this game by timing each round.  The first round I give each student 20 seconds, second round 30 seconds, and so on. 

Apples to Apples Jr.
Personally, I love this game and have played the regular version multiple times.  The junior version is for ages 7 and up.   There are red and green cards.  The red apple cards have words that name a person, place, thing, or event.  The green apple cards have descriptive words. Each student gets 5 red apple cards while 1 green card is placed in the middle.  Students place a card of their choice face down in the center that they believe best fits with the green card.  Depending on the age of my students, either I am the judge or the students in the group take turns being the judge.

Hope you all enjoy this post!
Kristine
Live Love Speech

2 comments:

  1. I love Neds Head! My students will do anything for Neds Head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one game can target all of http://ecornholeboards.com b those goals and more! I have seen many teachers/SLPs write vocabulary words, articulation words, and more directly on the Jenga blocks.

    ReplyDelete